The Desenberg building was built in 1886 to house the Desenberg Grocery Company. Legendary Chicago architect Louis Sullivan and his partner Dankmar Alder designed the building which is now the last remaining Sullivan structure in Michigan.
In the early 1900s, the building was bought by a wealthy German family. The family would renovate the Desenberg and continue its life as a store until WWI.
In the 1950s, the building was repurposed and became Hooker Glass & Paint Store. This store sold home improvement products and supplies such as paint, wallpaper, mirrors, and more.
After the building was repurposed again, it became the Schau-Powell sporting goods store. This store remained in business until 1985 when it eventually shut down.
The final tenant of the Desenberg building before it became the Desenberg Event Center was Huntington National Bank. The bank occupied the building from 1987-2019.
The Desenberg Event Center est. Sept. 2023